Vientiane Central Bus Station, also known as Khua Din Bus Station and Talat Sao Bus Station, is Vientiane’s city centre bus terminal located off the Avenue Lane Xang, just to east of the morning market.
Local bus services operating out of Vientiane Central Bus Station cost a fraction of what you will be charged in a taxi or a tuk-tuk and travellers familiar with Vientiane make use of these services. Taxi and tuk-tuk drivers in Vientiane are notorious for mercilessly overcharging foreign tourists.
About Vientiane Central Bus Station
Vientiane Central Bus Station is of three bus stations in Vientiane, the other two are Vientiane Northern Bus Terminal and Vientiane Southern Bus Station. Vientiane Northern Bus Terminal and Vientiane Southern Bus Station are both out of town bus stations.
Which of the three bus terminals in Vientiane you need depends on your destination:
- Vientiane Northern Bus Terminal: Bus services to Luang Prabang, Xayaboury, Plain of Jars, Oudomxay, Vang Vieng and Kumming in China.
- Vientiane Southern Bus Station: Bus services to Savannakhet, Pakse, Attapeu and various destinations in Vietnam such as Hanoi, Hue and Da Nang
- Vientiane Central Bus Station: Local and short distance bus to the International Airport, the Thai border and from the the city centre to both Vientiane Northern Bus Terminal and Vientiane Southern Bus Station.
Location of Vientiane Central Bus Station
Vientiane Central Bus Station is located 1.1 km walking distance from the Patuxai Monument.
Buy Tickets at the Bus Station
For the majority of the services departing from Vientiane Central Bus Station you can only buy your ticket on the bus. The bus will either have a conductor or on some city centre routes you pay the driver as you leave from the bus. For longer distance services operating out of Vientiane Central Bus Station, such as those to Udon Thani, Khon Kaen and Bangkok, buy your ticket before you board the bus at the ticket counters inside the building at the front of the bus station.
Buy Tickets online
Use the Search Box below to buy bus tickets from Vientiane to long distance destinations in Laos, Thailand, Vietnam and China.
For other journeys (than the one from Vientiane to Vang Vieng) across Laos, Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia change the starting point and destination to search for tickets.
Bus To Wattay International Airport
It takes around 25 minutes and costs 15,000 Lao Kip to travel from Vientiane Central Bus Station to Wattay International Airport.
- Departure Times: 08:20, 09:05, 09:45, 10:45, 11:30, 12:15, 13:15, 14:00, 14:45, 17:25 & 18:40.
Bus To Vientiane Northern Bus Terminal
By bus it takes 50 minutes to travel from Vientiane Central Bus Station to Vientiane Northern Bus Terminal and costs 5,000 Lao Kip. The bus you need to board is Bus #8.
- Departure Times: Every 30 minutes from 06:00 until 15:30, then at 16:15 and 17:00.
Bus To Thai Border
By bus it takes 59 minutes to travel from Vientiane Central Bus Station to the Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge border crossing and costs 8,000 Lao Kip. The bus you need to board is Bus #14.
- Departure Times: Bus services depart every 15 minutes from 05:50 to 17:35, with a final bus departing at 18:00.
Bus To Udon Thani
By bus it takes 3 hours to travel from Vientiane Central Bus Station to Udon Thani and costs 22,000 Lao Kip. The bus you need to board is Bus #I-2.
- Departure Times: 08:00, 09:00, 10:30, 11:30, 14:00, 15:00, 16:30 & 18:00.