By bus the journey from Vientiane to Savannakhet is scheduled to take 11 to 12 hours depending upon which service you take.
Bus Times from Vientiane to Savannakhet
There are currently 2 bus services a day from Vientiane to Savannakhet available to book online.
|18:00||06:00||$22 USD||Soutchai Travel|
|20:00||07:00||$14 USD||Chit Prasong|
- Chit Prasong passengers from Vientiane to Savannakhet travel in a sleeper bus.
Buy Tickets from Vientiane to Savannakhet
Box below to buy your tickets from Vientiane to Savannakhet.
Vientiane Bus Station
Soutchai Travel bus services to Savannakhet start with a pick from any hotel in Vientiane city centre.
Savannakhet Bus Station
Bus Services from Vientiane to Savannakhet terminate at Savannakhet Bus Station.
Savannakhet is one of the largest towns in Laos, with a population of over 120,000 permanent residents. Savannakhet is also the major transport hub in Southern Laos with connections to the far south of the country, a nearby border crossing to Thailand, and roads leading from the city to border crossings with Vietnam and Cambodia.
Tourism in Savannakhet
Many, if not most, of the foreign visitors who come to Savannakhet are passing through on the way to somewhere else. A high proportion of the remainder of the foreign visitors who come to Savannakhet do so to visit the Royal Thai Consulate in the city to get a visa. At the present time few foreign visitors come to Savannakhet to see the city itself, which lacks the wide range of historical sites that can be found in Vientiane or Luang Prabang, or the fantastic scenery in other parts of Laos such as Vang Vieng or Nong Khiaw.
Places to Visit in Savannakhet
In you have time to do some sightseeing in Savannakhet the most popular places to visit are:
- That Ing Hang Stupa: 16th Century stupa located 16 km by road to the north east of the city centre. That Ing Hang Stupa attracts a lot of Laotian visitors.
- Wat Xayaphoum: Another 16th Century temple located in the centre of the city by the river.
- Dinosaur Museum: Exhibition of fossils found in Xonbouly District in Laos.
- Colonial era buildings: There are a lots of French colonial era buildings in the part of city between the main road cutting through the centre of Savannakhet and the Mekong River, most notably St. Teresa’s Catholic Church.