There are two ways to travel from Luang Prabang to Nong Khiaw:
- Take a local bus to Pak Mong and then take a tuk-tuk to Nong Khiaw.
- Take a direct service from Luang Prabang to Nong Khiaw.
Direct services are only slightly more expensive and a lot quicker.
Bus Times from Luang Prabang to Nong Khiaw
There is currently a single daily direct service from Luang Prabang to Nong Khiaw available to book online.
|Luang Prabang||Nong Khiaw||Cost||Company|
- The journey time from Luang Prabang to Nong Khiaw is 3 hours 00 minutes.
Buy Tickets from Luang Prabang to Nong Khiaw
Use the Search Box below to buy your tickets from Luang Prabang to Nong Khiaw.
Departure from Luang Prabang
Services to Nong Khiaw depart from the International and Tourist Bus Station on the opposite side of the road to Luang Prabang South Bus Terminal.
Arrival in Nong Khiaw
Services from Luang Prabang arrive in Nong Khiaw at Nong Khiaw Minivan Station.
About Nong Khiaw
Nong Khiaw has similar scenery to Vang Vieng, but a lot fewer tourists go there and the town is smaller and less commercially developed.
Nong Khiaw Town
Nong Khiaw is located on the meandering Nam Ou River in a valley with steep sided limestone hills 142 km by road to the north east of Luang Prabang. Nong Khiaw has much better facilities than other towns in the area. It has electricity 24 hours a day , ATM machines, and a good range of hotels and restaurants. In this respect Nong Khiaw is like a smaller and less busy version of Vang Vieng, minus the tubing and late night bars.
Things to do in Nong Khiaw
Nong Khiaw is a pleasant place to be and the scenery visible from the town centre is very good. In addition to this there are a number of activities you can try whilst you are there:
- Kayaking: A popular activity as there are villages up and down stream you can easily reach by renting a kayak.
- Trekking: The well known ‘100 Waterfalls’ trek starts from close to Nong Khiaw.
- Pha Daeng Peak Viewpoint: From Nong Khiaw you can walk all the way up to a great viewpoint looking over the river and surrounding hills. The return trip takes 2 to 3 hours depending on how fast you walk and how long you stop.
- Climbing: There good cliffs for climbing near Nong Khiaw and several climbing tour companies in Nong Khiaw who can take you there.
- Pha Tok Cave: About 2 km to the west of Nong Khiaw there is a cave where local people and communist insurgents sheltered in the 1960s and 1970s.