Luang Prabang Southern Bus Terminal, also known as Naluang Bus Station, is one of three bus terminals in Luang Prabang. The Southern Bus Terminal is the place to go to get a cheaper bus service to Vang Vieng, Vientiane and the Plain of Jars.
For international bus services you need the bus station on the other side of the road from the Southern Bus Terminal, which is called the Tourist and International Bus Station. For travel to destinations in the North of Laos, such as Huay Xai, Phongsali and Udomxai, you need to go to the Northern Bus Terminal in Luang Prabang.
Bus and Minivan Services
Luang Prabang Southern Bus Terminal is the terminus for an eclectic mix of bus and minivan services. Some of the services are ‘VIP’ services intended for foreign tourists.
Other bus and minivan services operating out of Luang Prabang Southern Bus Terminal use old and uncomfortable vehicles which take roundabout routes stopping frequently on route to load and unload people, cargo, animals or simply because the driver wants a cigarette, a drink, a meal, to use the toilet or all four activities. If you book an ‘ordinary’ bus service from the Southern Bus Terminal expect a slow annoying journey, or a wonderful inexpensive cultural experience, depending on your perspective and the rigidness of your travel plans.
Travel to the Bus Station
Luang Prabang Southern Bus Terminal is about 3 km from Luang Prabang town centre. Its too far to walk so take a taxi van or a motorbike taxi.
There is a sign up at the Southern Bus Terminal quoting fixed taxi prices. The amount it says you pay for the journey between Luang Prabang town and the Southern Bus Terminal is 10,000 Laotian Kip, which seems to be about right (roughly equivalent to 40 THB) but whether you will actually get a local taxi or motorbike taxi driver to take you for less than 15,000 Laotian Kip will depend on your bargaining skills.
Location of Luang Prabang Southern Bus Terminal
Luang Prabang Southern Bus Terminal is located on Road 13 which is the main road to Vang Vieng and Vientiane.
Facilities at the Bus Station
Luang Prabang Southern Bus Terminal has a large waiting area and a toilet and that about it in terms of facilities.
The facilities are better across the road from the Southern Bus Terminal at the Tourist and International Bus Station. If you want to buy something or use a cleaner toilet then cross over the road to the other station, its not a long way.
Buy Tickets at the Bus Station
The advantage of buying tickets at the counters in the Southern Bus Terminal is that this is where you buy the cheapest tickets, and tickets for ‘local’ services which you can’t buy in advance online.
There are three disadvantages to buying your tickets at the station:
- Availability: The better bus services tend to be booked out in advance through travel agents and online sales.
- Communication: You may have problems making the staff understand what you want and for them to let you know what the options are, unless you speak either Lao or Thai in which case this is not a problem.
- Dishonesty: You may get directed to use a service you don’t want to use because the operator is looking to fill a seat so the bus or minivan can depart. This is a common problem, as is being charged way too much for a ticket. This happens a lot in Laos as well.
Buy Tickets online
Use the Search Box below to buy bus tickets from Luang Prabang online:
To search for destinations other than Vientiane enter the first few letters of the destination into the Search Box and then select the destination from the drop down list.
Bus To Vang Vieng
There are several different types of service from the Southern Bus Terminal to Vang Vieng.
- Departure Times:
- VIP Bus services: 09:30 & 12:30
- Regular Bus Services: 06:30, 07:30, 08:30, 11:00, 14:00, 16:30 & 18:30.
- Tickets: Check for ticket availability for bus services from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng.
Bus to Vientiane
There are lots of different types of bus and minivan services from Laung Prabang Southern Bus Terminal to Vientiane. We recommend using a Naga Travel service.
- Naga Travel Departure Times:
- AC Bus: 08:00
- VIP Sleeper Bus: 20:00.
- Tickets: Check for ticket availability for bus services from Luang Prabang to Vientiane.
Bus Services to The Plain of Jars
Bus services from Luang Prabanag travel to Phonsavan South Bus Station which is on the famous Plain of Jars.
- Departure Times: 09:00
- Tickets: Check for ticket availability for bus services from Luang Prabang to Phonsavan (Plain of Jars).