By public transport it takes 4 to 9 hours to travel from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng dpending upon which bus service you. There are no direct commercial flights from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng, nor any ferry services, so the only ways to travel are by minivan, bus, motorbike, car or taxi.
Bus Times from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng
There are currently 8 direct bus and minivan services a day from from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng available to book online.
|Service||Luang Prabang||Vang Vieng||Cost||Company|
|Minivan||07:30||16:30||$18 USD||Vieng Chaleune|
|Minivan||08:00||17:00||$18 USD||Vieng Chaleune|
|Minivan||11:00||20:00||$18 USD||Vieng Chaleune|
|Minivan||14:00||23:00||$18 USD||Vieng Chaleune|
|Minivan||17:00||02:00||$18 USD||Vieng Chaleune|
|Minivan||18:30||03:30||$18 USD||Vieng Chaleune|
- Naluang minivan services from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng depart from the Southern Bus Terminal in Luang Prabang and terminate at Vang Vieng bus station.
Buy Tickets from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng
Use the Search Box below to buy your minivan tickets from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng.
Luang Prabang Bus Stop
Naluang minivan services to Vang Vieng depart from the Southern Bus Terminal in Luang Prabang.
Vang Vieng Bus Stop
Naluang minivan services from Luang Prabang terminate at Vang Vieng bus station.
About Vang Vieng
The main appeal of Vang Vieng is the beautiful countryside: a wide river flows through fields bordered by steep cliffs.
Changes in Vang Vieng
Vang Vieng has recently transformed from being a popular location for young backpackers to come and get drunk while floating down the river in a tube, or taking drugs in restaurants every night, to a place with better hotels and more organised activities such as kayaking, rock-climbing and guided tours. You can still go tubing here and there is still a party scene in Vang Vieng, but its a lot smaller and there are less major accidents of the kind that lead to the increased regulation of Vang Vieng by the Laotian authorities from 2012 onward.
Activities in Vang Vieng
Popular things to do in Vang Vieng include:
- Learn to Rock Climb: Adam’s Climbing School, Green Discovery and Central Climbers in Vang Vieng all run rock climbing courses, with the best climbing spots being slightly over 2 km from the town centre. There is even a cave which can climb inside when its raining outside.
- Explore the Caves: There are lots of interesting caves to visit. There is a charge to enter most of the caves. The water cave is a popular option during the dry season as you negotiate the cave pulling yourself along on a large rubber tube.
- Tubing and Kayaking down the river: A fun activity but one which can turn dangerous and/or expensive if there are problems along the way. Watch out your kayak or tube doesn’t get stolen when you leave them to eat or drink something.
- Mountain Biking: Rent a bike, buy a map, and off you go. There are plenty of flat trails to follow and this is one of the cheapest, and least hazardous ways to enjoy the countryside in Vang Vieng.