Travel by bus from Luang Prabang to Kumming in Yunnan Province, China, is about half the cost of a flight, but takes 24 hours compared to a 1 hour 25 minute flight time.
Bus Times to Yunnan (China)
There are two daily bus services from Luang Prabang to Kumming in Yunnan Province which you can book online.
|07:00||08:00 + 1 day||$74 USD||Naluang|
|07:00||08:00 + 1 day||$81 USD||Naga Travel|
- Both companies use sleeper buses with fully reclined beds.
- The arrival time is China Time which is 1 hour ahead of Laos Time.
Buy Tickets to Yunnan
Use the Search Box below to buy your bus tickets from Luang Prabang to Yunnan.
Luang Prabang Bus Station
Naluang and Naga Travel bus services to Yunnan depart from the Tourist and International Bus Station on the opposite side of the road to the Southern Bus Terminal in Luang Prabang.
Yunnan Bus Station
Both Naluang and Naga Travel bus services from Luang Prabang terminate at Nanbu Bus Passenger Transport Station, Shangbo St, Guandu Qu, Kunming Shi, Yunnan Sheng, China, 650214.
Yunnan is a province in China with a population over of 45 million people covering an area of 394,000 square kilometres. Yunnan is the most ethnically diverse province in China which borders Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam and Tibet and takes cultural influences from all of these neighbouring countries. The diversity of the culture in Yunnan Province is paralleled by the variety of landscapes and climates in the province. The south of the province has steamy dense jungle around the Mekong River, whilst the north east of the province has snow capped mountains where it borders Tibet.
The largest city in Yunnan Province is Kumming, which has a an urban population of over 4.5 million people. Other highlights of Yunnan Province include:
- Dali Old Town: 14th Century Chinese town with a good range of Western style bars and restaurants which is popular with foreign visitors.
- Lijiang City: Ancient Chinese city with a mountain backdrop and rivers and canals flowing through the city centre.
- Tiger Leaping Gorge: There is a popular trek which takes you through Tiger Leaping Gorge.
- Lugu Lake: Lake located at an altitude of 2,690 metres above sea level, on the banks of which live people from the Mosuo ethnic group with colourful clothing and a matriarchal society where marriage doesn’t exist.
- Yuanyang: A district with terraced rice fields similar to Sapa in Vietnam.